disclaimer: I have the weirdest taste in music, so you might hate all of these. but try out a few and maybe you will like them :)
Also, if you have your own recommendations, please comment them - i am always looking for new songs!
RECOMMENDATIONS - OLDIES -All the Day and All of the Night (the kinks) -The Ballad of John and Yoko (the beatles) -Can't Buy Me Love (beatles) -Come Go With me (the beach boys) -Everyday (buddy holly) -The Fool on the Hill (beatles) -Good Vibrations (beach boys) -Got to Get You Into My Life (earth wind & fire) -The Longest Time (billy joel) -Love Me Do (beatles) -Not Fade Away (buddy holly) -September (earth wind & fire) -Twist and Shout (beatles) -Wouldn't it be Nice (beach boys)
INDIE (some of these are sort of pop) -Brandy Alexander (feist) -Clocks (coldplay) -Closing Time (semisonic) -Everybody Loves Me (onerepublic) -Happy Up Here (royksopp) -Inside and Out (feist) -I've Got Your Number (passion pit) -Light Enough to Travel (the be good tanyas) -Lisztomania (phoenix) -Little Secrets (passion pit) -Moon Hits the Mirrorball (totally enormous extinct dinosaurs) -Mushaboom (feist) -New Slang (the shins) -Shuffle (the bombay bicycle club) -Soma (the strokes) -Sweet Dreams (eurythmics) -Vanishing Point (deadmau5) -Violet Hill (coldplay) -We Are Golden (mika) -We Are The People (empire of the sun) -1 2 3 4 (feist)
WORLD -Berimbau (bossacucanova) -Elle me Dit (mika) -Chet Boghassa (tinariwen) -Galbi (putumayo/abdy) -Maria Moita (bossacucanova) -Moi et Toi (putumayo/abdel ali slimani) -One Love/People Get Ready (bob marley) -Time to Bounce (tom tom club) -Waka Waka (shakira - make sure to get the spanish version)
Tutorials and ideas for less common friendship bracelets!
1. The basic friendship bracelet (Picture 1) - this is the one that is most popular (think tumblr pictures). It’s a little tricky at first, but after you get the hang of it, it’s really easy, and you can make tons of different patterns. Basic Instructions - http://honestlywtf.com/diy/diy-friendship-bracelet/ How to READ patterns - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLj9DFbbyP8&feature=plcp&context=C3dc3c29UDOEgsToPDskKDcCFISNz3pxPFvli2mY6h Patterns - http://friendship-bracelets.net/patterns2.php and http://www.braceletbook.com/patterns.html (browse through, there are SO many) More great video tutorials - http://www.youtube.com/user/BeyondBracelets
You can also make three small basic bracelets, and braid them together, like in the picture marked 2.
Another more difficult basic bracelet is the wave bracelet - http://friendship-bracelets.net/tutorial.php?id=55
“Knitted” looking bracelet (instructions are in Spanish, but they DO have English subtitles) - http://www.braceletbook.com/tutorial/30_the-knitted-bracelet.html
2. Snake knot bracelet (Picture 3) - this one is really easy, and works best with thick string (but you can really use any kind, even embroidery floss, if you want). Knot tutorial - http://parentingteens.about.com/od/knottyingcraftsforteens/ss/snakeknot.htm Bracelet tutorial - http://parentingteens.about.com/od/craftsjewel/ss/snakeknotbracelet.htm
3. Easy wrapped bracelet (Picture 4) - also very easy, you only have to know one knot. It works best with thin thread or embroidery floss. Use pipe cleaners or thick yarn in the middle. Directions (just make it shorter if you want a bracelet) - http://www.how-to-make-jewelry.com/friendship-necklace.html “Hippie” Wrapped Bracelet (really cool looking) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9FBVoQuZgo More advanced Hippie Bracelet - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStdvJJazZs&feature=related
4. Braided bracelets - these vary greatly in difficulty. If you just want a simple 3-strand braid, use thick string. However, you can also make 4,5 and 8 strand braids that look really awesome. 4 and 5 strand braids - http://www.kingsmerecrafts.com/page73.html 8 strand braids - http://www.instructables.com/id/Braiding-eight-cords-into-a-flat-braid/ Odd Number strand braids - http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Braid-Using-More-Than-Three-Strands Finger Loop Braids (VERY cool, picture 5) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkT8MCdNkE&feature=related
5. Knotted Bracelets (picture 6) - these are different from regular friendship bracelets, and are best with thicker string. They’re also not very hard, and look amazing! Heart shaped knot (picture 7) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yo5nSXND5o&feature=related Knotted bracelets (they say to use paracord, but really you can use any kind of thickish string) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRgM578LJdA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaJUGpI4wVI&feature=BFa&list=ULqrcr_J2OVME&lf=mfu_in_order http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrcr_J2OVME&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
6. Beaded and Woven Bracelets (picture 8) - I think these are soooo pretty, and beads are really cheap (you probably already have some lying around). Basic beaded and woven bracelet - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtkj0YhD87s&feature=relmfu - if you’re using embroidery floss instead of hemp thread for this, do double knots instead of a singles. Another variation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRtYRj7hPuw&feature=relmfu